Hmmmm, now lets see...

Yes, if you look at the picture from the same distance, you will sense that the DOF is larger if the magnification is less. But, if the picture is the same then you reduce the size of the print and the viewer will go closer and adjust the sensed magnification. If that is the case the viewer will sense the same DOF.

If you reduce the magnification while the print size is constant then you have changed the lens, the size of the image sensor/film or a little of both, in which case the viewer will keep the same distance (unless he wants to look at some detail) and sense a different DOF.

The effective resolution limits the possible magnification, viewing distance, and the possible range of DOF.

But this is theory not practice. In real life people usually don´t let the sensor/film decide the size of the print. They want a print this size and they like the effects your photograph has in that size. In that sense the larger resolution, once it is sufficient at a certain viewing distance, has the effect of giving a possibility of moving in closer letting the image fill you field of view and at the same time see more details. In that process you can say that the DOF changes as you move into the picture. The sensed magnification changes as well as the DOF.

So in some ways you are both right.

(and by the way JCO, I´ve been making my own prints since 1977 so don ´t use your experience, it´s not enough :-)

DagT