> 2009/4/9 William Robb <war...@gmail.com>:
> > Had you called it a character study, then I would have commented
> > differently. You called it a portrait, and that had a great
> deal to do with
> > my response to it.
>
> hmm...
> That's interesting. Didn't cross my mind that the word "portrait"
> primed people that much. Or maybe that my understanding of the word is
> that deviant... :-)
>
> Another lesson learned, hopefully.

I enjoyed the picture, and think it was original and interesting and showed
(as far as I can know) the young man's character well. I've been rather
surprised at people's comments about it - I expected it to be universally
praised.

I always think of 'character study' and 'portrait' as synonymous. To me the
whole point of a portrait is to reveal something of the person's character
to the viewer. Otherwise it's just a mug shot, or a study in texture or
form.

Bob