Hi,

Never been to the Met, so I can't help you there. But you might like
to consider artists such as Vermeer, Kandinsky, Bridget Riley: these
are just three examples of people using a square frame picked at
random from books within arm's reach of where I'm sitting. Certainly
the square is less common than other rectangles, but it may be the
single most commonly used aspect ratio - all the other paintings in the
books I picked up seem to use different rectangles. This would be
because the artist chose the shape to suit the intended composition
then made up the canvas as required (or perhaps as directed by a
patron), rather than going out and buying an A1 canvas or some
standard dimension off the shelf.

The shape of the frame serves a purpose in composition. The square
tends to be a more secure, stable and balanced composition. Symmetry
is more obvious within a  square, but asymmetry played against a square
format can have a stronger effect because it goes against the viewer's
expectations and leads to a contrast, which is one of the most
important elements of visual grammar.

Some subjects are well-suited to a square format. These tend to be
ones where there is no strong horizontal or vertical element in the
composition, such as abstracts, subjects with a static composition,
and those organised around the centre.

It may be that most people on this list have almost no square-cropped
photos, but that by itself is not an argument against square-format;
it just means we're used to looking through a 1:1.5 ratio. The fact is
that looking through the viewfinder dictates a certain way of seeing. I'd
think it's a good bet that people who've only ever used a square-format
camera have a very much higher proportion of square-framed photos. So
I don't think you've thought real hard, or said enough to make your
case.

---

 Bob

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]