-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, December 28, 2001 11:00 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Square Format

Paul Stenquist asked:
> Everyone think real hard. Out of yur best 100 all-time photographs, how
> many have  you cropped to a square? What proportion of paintings in the
> Met are square? Enough said.

#include <crop-vs-full-frame-thread>

My understanding of square format shooting (caveat:  I've not shot
square) is that you expect to crop those square frames to some
other shape.  For someone willing to crop, square makes sense.
(That being said, I'd prefer not to go square anyhow, but it's
a matter of irrational personal preference, not an inherent
problem with the format.  Then again, I _do_ try to frame things
"just so" in the viewfinder ... _occasionally_ I'll shoot wider
with the intent to crop later; more often when I crop it's
because I've changed my mind about how the shot should have
been framed or someone else has convinced me.)

The bit about not having to turn the camera for vertical format
shots makes a lot of sense to me.

                                        -- Glenn

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com