----- Original Message ----- From: <pnstenqu...@comcast.net>

Subject: Re: regards PESO 2009 - 052 ...

The negative reaction to Shel's critiques erupted after he said a photo was so bad that the poster should be ashamed for presenting it here. Most here have no problem with negative criticism, and debating the points of a critique shouldn't be seen as a bad reaction to the same.

The negative reaction to Shel's critique also put a permanent chill on honest criticism of photos on this list. Sometimes a photo really is so bad that one has to question the wisdom of the person posting the image, or sometimes the quality of a picture is so far below the potential of the photographer that a flaying is in order. Unfortunately, by shooting the messenger, we have limited our critiques to the banal, and this doesn't really help photographers get better at their craft, if, in fact, improving themselves' as photographers is at the heart of their interest when they post a picture.

William Robb