Adam is absolutely right on this one.
In fact, Europe is even more vulnerable to this than is USA because of
its many national states. Okay, there's something called EU, but there
are enough national interest in each of the member states to make a
situation quite different from the US.

I imagine that this bill is meant as an option for USA to do what
China is trying to, ensuring access and control over traffic across
international borders. In the case of an "emergency" of course.

What I really don't understand is the need to pass such a bill in
peacetime,. Do someone really see such an emergency coming up?

Wonder what such hedging-in would to for US access to international
intelligence, by the way.
One example from two years ago: I made some very interesting traces of
network traffic directed towards Iran. From both London and Oslo, all
traffic was routed via Ireland to Washington DC before returning
across Europe. Given the number of root name servers in Europe, there
is absolutely no technical reason why the traffic should cross the
Atlantic back and forth before going through Russia or the Middle East
as far as I can see.

I guess my point is that there is so much international
interdependence on the electronic infrastructure by now, that I doubt
this bill will change much unless a world-scale war emerges. Under
such conditions, it would make sense to take precautions, and not only
for USA and China. The way the infrastructure and traffic is managed
today already allows for more control than probably any of us are
aware of.

Jostein

--
http://www.alunfoto.no/galleri/