Hi Shel,
     I use a 23CII, but I've replaced the original condenser head with
an Aristo cold light source.  I used it for several years with the
condenser lenses though.  The bellows adjustment is there in order to
adjust the light source for even distribution and focusing of the point
light source over the negative, depending on the size of the film you
have to cover and the "standard" enlarging lens.  If using an 80mm lens
for 35mm work, I would think that leaving it in the position for 35mm
film would cause the light rays to converge too much, and not in the
proper place under the lens.  But really, the best way to check this is
to raise the enlarger up to the highest point you can, put a large white
sheet of paper in the easel, and then without a negative in the carrier,
just look at the distribution of light.   Adjust the bellows to be in
the position where the best coverage occurs.
     As others have said, the filter drawer is for VC filters, color
filters, or as you mention - heat absorbing glass.  I bought a piece of
that "special" heat absorbing glass from Beseler.  It cost an arm and a
leg.  Since I'm using cold light now, I don't have it installed, so let
me know if you want it cheap.
     Also, when using the cold light head with the diffused light
source, it's interesting that the bellows adjustment no longer really
does anything, because the light is no focused with the condenser lenses
any longer.  So I moved it to the lowest position and it allows me to
raise the enlarger higher for bigger enlargements under my low ceiling.

Thanks,
Ed
http://lightandsilver.com