----- Original Message -----
From: "Shel Belinkoff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 01, 2002 10:16 AM
Subject: Re: Questions for Beseler 23CII Users

> Hi Tom,
>
> How did you arrive at this conclusion?  What's the math behind
it?
> Might be worthwhile to know.

Basic geometery. The size of the diffuser needs to be somewhat
bigger than the diagonal of the negative.
As an example, the 35mm format is nominally 24x36mm.
To get the diagonal, add the squares of the length and width
together, then take the square root of that sum:
(24 x 24) + (36 x 36) = 1872.
The square root of that is ~43.266 mm.
This is the minimum size needed to cover a 35mm negative,
providing the covereage extends right to the edge. In reality,
coverage should extend several millimeters beyond the negative
corners to prevent light source vignetting.
 Interestingly enough, that length is also considered the
standard focal length for 35mm photography, but I digress.
William Robb