On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 10:14:41AM -0300, Luiz Felipe scripsit:
> EVF with a mirror camera? Lose the pentaprism and keep the mirror?
> Lose  the prism and mirror but keep the camera otherwise the same??

Keep the direct optical path to the viewfinder; lose the moving mirror
and shutter.

Ideally, this and the robustness deal gets the LCD off the back of the
camera -- big flat fragile space that it is -- and replaced with a
HUD-style overlay in the viewfinder.  The back can then support
larger/more controls.  (Using the K20D 4-direction rocker dial with
gloves?  Ick.)

However, the main thing is to get the electro-mechanical stuff out of
the optical path.

> The moment I think of EVF I also think of a mirror-less camera, with a
> distance from lens mount to sensor as reduced as possible, with new
> lenses to exploit the advantages AND a very good adapter to the former
> lens format of the brand. AND a side adapter for all major lens mounts,
> even if I'd sell it under a very different brand.

That's what the Samsung NK is supposed to do.  I get the feeling that's
not where Pentax wants to go.

Straight EVIL does two things Pentax wouldn't like; it starts to use the
lens aperture mechanism as the shutter, which means you lose lens
backward compatibility, and it almost completely de-values optical
design in the camera.  Pentax is still primarily, nigh-obsessively, an
optical company.  They want to keep competing inside their area of
speciality if they possibly can.

> Since it's fairly close to usual dimensions, I expect a camera with
> some  evolution. No revolution is expected here - sorry.

I'm not expecting a revolution either, but, Hoya needs one, and Mike
Johnson deferred his camera #2 recommendation today; "This is awkward,
but I'm going to have to hold off with #2 until about this time next
month. Still collecting data. What can I say—this slot was solid ten
days ago, but the world changes."

You know of any other plausibly-better-than-"A mid-level 4/3 or APS-C
DSLR of the brand of your choice" -- which is recommendation #3 --
that's going to be announced in a month?  I'm certainly not as
well-plugged into the rumour mill as I could be.

Mike certainly gets the lenses early.  He's had a K20D on long-term loan
for almost a year now.  So it's not impossible he's got enough insider
info on the successor camera to decide to hold on on recommendation #2.

-- Graydon