On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 02:07:07PM -0700, Joseph McAllister scripsit:
> From information absorbed by my little noggin way back when, I am now
> under the impression that "optimized for aps-c" meant, among other
> things, that it was an effort to make the light rays more parallel as
> they struck the sensor to prevent the color fringing we see in our
> digital images. Supposedly caused by the angle of incidence of light
> rays to the sensor pixels in the corners and periphery of said sensor,
> which allowed the light ray to strike more than one pixel under such
> circumstances.

Remember that the sensor isn't sitting out there in the air; it's got a
cover, the cover has thickness, and reflects and refracts.  The rear
lens element reflects, too.  Film is an absorptive medium -- the photon
hits and sticks -- so the optical behaviour of the digital sensor stack
is considerably different.

"more vertical" incident light may help with getting consistent
behaviour from the sensor stack; there's certainly no obvious reason
that you couldn't design a full frame lens that way.  It'd have to be
the whole lens, though.

This may be part of Pentax's decision not to go with full-frame digital;
they'd have to redo the whole lens lineup to get performance they
considered acceptable.

-- Graydon, who really does think it's going to be APS-C, MF, and nought
else from Pentax