Paul,
How much is a lens worth if it's the one you needed to get the shot you
want?  Is Quality-per-use to be discounted?  If each time you use the lens
you are disappointed with its results, the lens may have a negative worth.
OTOH, I would agree that it makes more sense for most of us to buy the
mid-range unit.  No real need to spend ALL the money on lenses that'll see
limited use.  Use some of that money to buy more gear and maximize it's
potential! :)

Cory Waters
Has a few low dollar lenses and nothing more.

<Snip>
> It seems unfair that frequency of use must dictate the quality that it is
> prudent to buy, but I can't escape the math.
<SNIP>