Cory wrote:

>How much is a lens worth if it's the one you needed to get the shot you
>want?  Is Quality-per-use to be discounted?  If each time you use the lens
>you are disappointed with its results, the lens may have a negative worth.
>OTOH, I would agree that it makes more sense for most of us to buy the
>mid-range unit.  No real need to spend ALL the money on lenses that'll see
>limited use.  Use some of that money to buy more gear and maximize it's
>potential! :)

Well, I for one have never regretted buying to good and expensive lenses.
I'm convinced its cheaper in the long run. My oldest lens, the Pentax
18/3.5, I bought new in 1978. It was very expensive but I still use it and
probably will in the next 20 years as well. Whats more, if I choose to sell
it I'll probably get more than I gave for it back then.
I have similar experiences with other great lenses. The A* 135/1.8 I sold
for more than I gave for it. About  four times as much in  fact!
I fully expect the Limited lenses to be a good investment as well. People
will still want them in years to come.

Pål