AlunFoto wrote:
I figured I might as well let the cat out of the bag.

In November, I will be facing a major logistical challenge regarding
air transport of equipment. The occasion is a photographer's cruise to
Antarctic waters. Much like the one Michael Reichmann of Luminous
Landscape fame did some time ago. The itinerary includes flights
through Europe to Argentina, and a domestic flight from Buenos Aires
to Puerto Madryn. We'll get another domestic flight from Ushuaia to
Buenos Aires on the return, and then the long haul back.

So the challenge is what to pack and how. I'd dearly love to bring the
600/4, but that alone nearly fills the hand luggage quota for cattle
class. As I understand it, Argentinian weight limits are stricter than
both USA and Europa. Any and all serious suggestions would be most
appreciated.

My priority list so far is:
K20D with grip
K10D without grip (or possibly K-7 if it materialises in the market before then)

FA*600/4
DA*300/4
DA*60-250/4
DA*16-50/2.8
DA14/2.8
Sachtler tripod with RRS 55mm ballhead and Wimberley Sidekick

You have to take the 600/4. I'd go with the 60-250/4 and both the 16-50 and 14. check Naturescapes.com for some really good "legal-sized" yet expensive backpacks and such to hand carry your camera gear including the 600/4. The tripod, and head can go in checked baggage. I've seen some great wide-angle shots of penguin colonies and I've heard you have to be careful not to step on the wildlife, so keep that in mind. but still, you'll miss opportunities if you don't take the big glass.

Oh and I'm extremely jealous. South Georgia and the Falklands (Malvinas) is on my list of places to go.

--

Christian
http://404mohawknotfound.blogspot.com/