Jostein, greetings and salutations on the oncoming trip. It should become very memorable event...

Humbly, I suggest that you don't take DA* 300 lens as you have DA* 60-250 that appears to be quite stellar. I don't think that 50 mm will make any difference here. FA* 600 is entirely different of course.

It would seem more desirable to prefer K-7/K-20 over K-20/K-10. The advertised low temperature shooting ability of K-7 may come in handy.

Other than that - I think you should simply put some cash towards hauling more weight. It seems inevitable at this point.

I should be looking forward your pictures from that trip ;-).

Boris

AlunFoto wrote:
I figured I might as well let the cat out of the bag.

In November, I will be facing a major logistical challenge regarding
air transport of equipment. The occasion is a photographer's cruise to
Antarctic waters. Much like the one Michael Reichmann of Luminous
Landscape fame did some time ago. The itinerary includes flights
through Europe to Argentina, and a domestic flight from Buenos Aires
to Puerto Madryn. We'll get another domestic flight from Ushuaia to
Buenos Aires on the return, and then the long haul back.

So the challenge is what to pack and how. I'd dearly love to bring the
600/4, but that alone nearly fills the hand luggage quota for cattle
class. As I understand it, Argentinian weight limits are stricter than
both USA and Europa. Any and all serious suggestions would be most
appreciated.

My priority list so far is:
K20D with grip
K10D without grip (or possibly K-7 if it materialises in the market before then)

FA*600/4
DA*300/4
DA*60-250/4
DA*16-50/2.8
DA14/2.8
Sachtler tripod with RRS 55mm ballhead and Wimberley Sidekick

15" laptop
2 portable harddrives for backup.