Thanks to all for your recommendations! Much appreciated.

There are some things I'm now quite certain of:
- There's no way I will let optics travel as checked-in luggage. :-)
- The 600mm has to come along. Thanks for firming my resolve there.
- I will have to make a thorough comparison of the 60-250
  and the 300 to decide if both will go.
- The total weight of the gear will be a problem.
  Excluding the 300, the photobag is still at 23 kg.

I was informed yesterday that our international flights will be with
British Airways, and with warnings that our hand luggage may be
weighed at Heathrow. That didn't happen when we travelled to Newcastle
last Easter, but on the other hand I didn't bring the 600 then.
The recommendation from the guide is to have a photo vest with plenty
of pockets to stuff things like normal zooms, batteries, flash, etc.,
in before the bag goes on the scale. He claims to have got away with
shouldering his 500/4 as a "personal item" too... :-)

I have researched the possibility of posting a travel log to my blog,
and apparently it's possible to send clean-text emails through
satellite link from the ship. No graphics, though. So pictures will
have to wait until I get back.

Jostein

--
http://www.alunfoto.no/galleri/