OK, you guys have talked sense into me. I just bought a 400. It's not a Quantaray,
ancient screwmount, or used off-brand. It's a genu-ine Pentax SMC 400/5.6 PKA,
(condition EX-), with original case and hood, for (drumroll, please) $394 plus $9.50
shipping from Adorama. Since a 77mm B+W multicoated UV filter has been sitting unused
in my drawer, the deal was even more irresistable.

The PKA improved over the SMC amd M by using a more advanced lens formula (7 elements,
six groups), including a FREE element for close focus to 2.2 m.

Another 400/5.6 PKA can be found on KEH for about $546 (EX+), as well as a Bargain
400/5.6M for $339.

I hope you're happy.

Only problem is that the lens is being shipped UPS. When it arrives, I'll have some
explaining to do when I get home (after my wife). Truth is, I'm preparing to sell off
several desirable lenses, so this is something of a preemptive move to cash in. When a
fellow finds a lens this good, this scarce, this cheap--well, a man's gotta do what a
man's gotta do.

Now if anyone knows of a used 300/4.5F (not FA) for sale...

[EMAIL PROTECTED]