On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 10:35 PM, Rob Studdert <distudio.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/31/09, Adam Maas <a...@mawz.ca> wrote:
>
>> I'm not much of a fan of the Magic Needle system on the Pentax K mount
>> bodies. Best film loading I've seen in a manual-advance SLR is the
>> Canon QL system, after that I prefer the traditional system used by
>> most other setups (including the Bessa Rangefinders). The system used
>> by the M4 and later is adequate but inferior to the basic advance
>> system used by most SLRs.
>
> I'm interested to find out why you consider the film loading system on
> the M4 and later inferior to most SLRs? All that's required to load
> later M film cameras is to pullout the film leader, place the
> cartridge in the camera with the film leader though the tangs, fit the
> base and stroke the film advance. I've had more problems with supposed
> self loading SLRs personally.
>
> --
> Rob Studdert

It's basicly a 3-handed design. One for the camera, one for the film,
one for the bottom plate, the SLR systems only require 2 since the
backs don't seperate. Also it requires more care in loading the film
into the body since you have smaller gaps to slide the leader through.

It's not so much a bad design as it has been bettered.

The best variation on traditional loading systems is the SLR-type
leader right through the spool like a Leica take-up spool, rather than
only inserting the tip into the plastic spool. My F2 has the former
system and it's harder to have a takeup failure with that setup than
the plastic spool systems which can lose the leader easier.

--
M. Adam Maas
http://www.mawz.ca