I think it's better to experiment with film speed and development
time keeping film, developer, developer temp, developer dilution, &
agitation all
constant. That way you can really get best results. The best way to
find film speed with a given development process is to bracket +/-
2 stops from nominal speed in 1/2 stop increments and then choose
best looking negative and use that speed from then on.

Once that is established, then change one varible such as developer
and fine tune again if not satified with first results. It's not Tri-X
but here's one setup that works fantastic for me:

Film : Tmax 100
ISO: 80
Deveolper : Tmax liquid
Deveolper dilution : 1:9 ( 1 shot use )
Diluted Developer Amount : 400ml Per roll (36)
Developer Temp. : 24 deg. C
Agitation : constant with roller
Development Time : 6.5 minutes
Use stop bath : Yes