Wed Jul 1 12:33:28 CDT 2009
Joseph McAllister wrote:

> I'm happy with a 200 gig pocket drive that I make my 3rd backup to,
> which I keep in my car in the alley.

That's an interesting idea...
I am just concerned about the temperature variations causing harm
to the drive.. Maybe it is not a problem where you are, - but
it is a problem over here.

> A. I have all my master images with me wherever I go. RAW & Jpeg.

That's convenient, but I would also want to have the LR database
on that same drive.

> B. It's offsite, but only 30 seconds away.
If you have wild-fires in the area, that might not be far enough to
be really "offsite"

> C. Being USB powered, any computer can access it.
I haven't seen any USB-powered computers... ;-)
(sorry, just couldn't help passing it.)

> D. It's not that expensive. Just have to remember to bring it in and
> back up to it once a week or so.

I am actually curious if the processing capacity of a netbook (Intel
Atom CPU) is sufficient to run LightRoom. If yes, -  a small ~$300
netbook with a 160GB HDD would be a nice backup+view-on-the-go combination.

Igor