On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 11:59:47AM -0400, John Francis scripsit:
> On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 06:08:58AM -0400, David J Brooks wrote:
> > So i finally made it to a Future shop and picked up an external HD to
> > use as my LR back up drive.
> >
> > I managed to get my catalogue backed up, at least i think i have them
> > all, it did not ask that question.
>
> Silly question, but:  are you sure you've backed up the *images*, as
> well as the catalogue?  It's best to be sure that you have done that
> before you actually delete any of the images from the disk.

Also note -- one copy is not a backup.

You need a minimum of three copies on three different drives, one of
which is somewhere else, before you can possibly call it a backup.

> Bear in mind, too, that if you've only got the images copied to one
> external drive, then as soon as you delete them from your hard drive
> you no longer have a backup of those images.  If your external drive
> goes bad you've lost those images for ever.  You should really get a
> second external drive as well, and keep a redundant copy.

_two_ redundant copies.

Drives bought at the same time have a distressing tendency to fail at
the same time.

-- Graydon