On Sat, 05 Jan 2002 16:33:21 -0800, Shel Belinkoff wrote:

>OK, let's look at it this way.  Let's say we have a pixel, which we'll
>equate to an artist's canvas, and it's eight bits, and each bit is the
>equivalent of a can of paint of a different color.  If the artist - or
>in this case the scanner - wants to paint a picture on the canvas, there
>are only so many colors that he can choose from, or mix. If each pixel
>had 16 bits, or 16 colors of paint, more colors could be mixed, and so
>on for 24 bits, 32 bits, etc.  The more cans of different colors of
>paint there are, the more colors there are that can be created, and
>colors can be "blended" to produce smoother transitions.  Is this
>something like bit depth?

Yes, except that "16 bits" is not 16 different colors but "2 to the power of 16" which
is 65536!

(see my other reply for more examples)

In you above anlogy, you could have a pixel using "24 bits" which would be
8 bits for each basic color Red, Green and Blue.

It would mean the scanner can select between 256 different Reds, 256 different Greens
and 256 different Blue cans of paint to mix to get the color for that one pixel.
(that is over 16 million different colors to choose from)

Regards, JvW