On Sat, 5 Jan 2002 20:55:27 +0100, Jostein wrote:

>"Dynamic range" is how many "f-stops" it can separate between shadows
>and highlights. More would be better, I guess...

Close, but no cigar :-)

It IS the range between maximum shadows and highlights recordable, but
it is a decimal logarithmic (log-10) not log-2 like an f-stop is.

So simpler put, an f-stop difference is a factor 2, one unit in dynamic-range is a
factor of 10, so a little more than 3 f-stops.

Negative/slide scanners are in the order of a dynamic range of 3, so about 10 f-stops.

Regards, JvW