They do as a concept, but the current set of laws in the US, which are
far more restrictive than they were 30-40 years ago, were passed after
heavy lobbying by the RIAA and MPAA (as well as Disney) and for years
Sonny Bono was the prime mover in congress behind the ridiculous
extensions to copyright terms.

-Adam

--
M. Adam Maas