I went through and processed the pictures from the dancing last
weekend, and ended up with 12 "keepers". The files that start with
imgp are K100 and the files with lrc are K20.
I ended up with the same ratio of shoot/keep with both cameras.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157621773342262/

Paul, I recognize that a "keeper ratio" in real world conditions is by
no means a valid or scientific test of a camera's performance. But, I
do find it interesting that in this case I did as well with the K100
as I did with the K20.

It occurs to me, that I may have to change my metering technique going
from one camera to another. With the K100, I'll generally tweak the
exposure so that I don't blow out highlights, and use processing to
pull details out of the shadows.  However, the area of each pixel on
the K100 is nominally 2.5 times that of the K20, so in theory, each
pixel has 2.5 times the dynamic range. So, it is possible that with
the K20, I need to sacrifice more of the highlights to reduce noise in
the shadows.

I also note that the objectionable noise on this particular K20 seems
to be almost entirely in the blue channel. I have no idea if that is
typical, due to the white balance, or the fact that there are fewer
blue pixels on the sensor.

I would expect that as long as the final image is 6MP or less, then
the sensor area per pixel in the final image is approximately the
same. For a 3MP (2000x1500) final image the software would average 2
K100 pixels and 5 k20 pixels.

Larry Colen             l...@red4est.com            http://www.red4est.com/lrc