On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 06:20:23PM -0400, J.C. O'Connell scripsit:
> one thing I don't understand here, and that is that taking a lot
> of people pictures would incur MORE use of a longer lens
> like 100mm, not the shorter ones. Normal and wide lenses
> generally are no-no's for people photos. Your saying you
> don't use the normal and short lenes because you don't do
> much people shots, but if you did, you would use the longer
> lenses even more wouldn't you?

The limited people-shooting I do is all indoor candids -- meaning,
pictures of neeves and siblings at family gatherings -- and gets done
with the 31, 50, and 77 almost exclusively, an awful lot with the 31
(which is normalish on a K20D).

Posed portraits go up, traditionally, to 135mm, at least as I understand
it; candid street shots are generally normal or slightly tele, again as
I understand it/have seen going by here.  (There seems to exist the
occasional exception like the fellow who was shooting 800mm/ƒ4 medium
format because he wanted completely candid, they have no notion there's
a photographer on this block, candid photographs.)

-- Graydon