My 2 cents:

* If bang for the buck is what you want, go AMD, not the best in town
but certainly best price/performance ratio.

* 4GB is alright (I'd say OKish). You may want to consider getting a
64bit OS if you're using windows. Peripheral support isn't good in
64bit versions if you have too many older peripherals (old scanners
etc.). However, it will let you add mor memory later. As for 64bit
versions:
Vista Home basic will go up to 8GB.
Vista Home Premium up to 16GB.
Others (Pro etc.) up to 128GB.

32bit version will NOT use 4GB , whatever they tell you but 3.3GB.
Basicaly throw 1 out of your 4 GB of RAM.

* Fast disk drive is always better. Don't even look at 5400rpm drives.
7200rpm is the minimum you want. If you can drop more dollars in
storage, I'd buy a 10.000rpm 300GB WD drive for OS and PS scratch
drive.

Nothing else to add, others gave good advices.

Regards,
--
Thibault Massart aka Thibouille