On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 7:09 AM, Thomas Bohn<tho...@bohnomat.de> wrote:
> On Aug 9, 2009, at 6:04 AM, Alastair Robertson wrote:
>
>> So CPU's options start with Pentium Dual 2.6 GHz 2MB cache, then Core 2
>> Duo processor 2.8 with 3MB cache, then move into the Quad systems. I take it
>> then that a Duo would be ok
>
> Why not AMD? The Athlon or Phenom processors are working nicely. They also
> have already a build in memory controller, which makes the memory access a
> little more efficient.
>
> Thomas

Because their performance for dollar ratio is inferior to the Intel's
right now, aside from the bottom end. The Core 2 and i7 processors
offer more performance at the same pricepoint in the mid and high end.

Personally, I'd get a lower-end Core 2 Quad and stuff as much RAM in
there as possible, then round out the rest of the system.

--
M. Adam Maas
http://www.mawz.ca