Boris Liberman wrote:
Igor Roshchin wrote:
I am choosing between Core Duo and Intel I7 (Quad Core).
If I go for the latter, I will probably choose something close to this set:
I7 2.66 or 3 GHz ASUS P6T motherboard, Otherwise:
Intel Core 2 Duo system: ASUS P5Q SE, E8400 or E8500 CPU

The I7 is probably a bit faster overall, even at a lower clock speed, for normal usage. Get the fastest memory that the motherboard supports. I expected things to get better, but was shocked at how much more responsive my E8500 system was after replacing the 4GB of PC2-6400 (800MHz) memory with 4GB of PC2-8500 (DDR2 1066MHz) memory.

This is what I chose, I mean the E8400 and some motherboard by Gigabyte.

Personally, I always use Intel CPUs, and I buy Asus or Gigabyte or MSI motherboards and not really anything else. I've had too many problems with other brands, like certain boards only liking certain types of memory, often inferior ones (quality or throughput). The Intel boards are probably good, but I've never used them because they're often down on the bang-for-the-buck meter.

 I've 8GB memory on board [...]

If you're using a 64-bit Windows, be careful about 64-bit drivers. A fair amount of gear that's as little as two or three years old doesn't have and won't ever get 64-bit Windows drivers. I don't know what the situation is for 64-bit Linux/BSD/*nix or MacOS. This seems especially to be true of cheaper products, like by US$50 Canon LiDE 50 flatbed scanner. In some cases, I think the 32-bit drivers can be used in 64-bit XP, Vista, or 7, but I'm not sure of that, and I am sure that some just won't work without 64-bit Windows drivers.

One thing though, the CPU fan that came with E8400 sucked big time.

I always use Zalman fan/heatsink combos. The CNPS9700 series works particularly well with the LGA775 socket CPUs and MBs. They are a little pricey (around US$50 on NewEgg.com) but they work well and they're quiet. ThermalTake is another quality brand for cooling accessories and quiet cases, too.

Some say that E8400 is very much into overclocking, but so far I haven't had a real need to do it. It works fine as it is.

With the right motherboard, the E8300/E8400/E8500 can be heavily overclocked. The E8500 has a base clock of 3.16GHz but I've heard of them run up as high as 4.4GHz with the right motherboard and cooling solutions. Personally, I don't overclock, mainly because I don't have the time or inclination to do the tuning.

BTW, my current main system, right at a year old is:

    E8500 3.16GHz Core 2 Duo
    Asus P5Q-E (P45, ICH10R)
    4GB (2x2GB) PC2-8500 (DDR2 1066MHz) DRAM
    nVidia 9800GT 512MB PCI Express 2.0 video
    4 x 320GB SATA-II drives in RAID 10 (striped over two mirror pairs)
    Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit usually
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit occasionally now that I have the RTM version
    64-bit Linux (Ubuntu or SuSE) when I spend the time to get the RAID
        drivers to properly coexist with the Windows RAID

That motherboard (Asus P5Q-E), and many other Asus boards, have a bunch of on-board overclocking support built in and settable through the BIOS configuration screens.

--
Thanks,
DougF (KG4LMZ)