From: Joseph McAllister
On Aug 8, 2009, at 22:57 , David Mann wrote:

> On Aug 9, 2009, at 6:16 AM, Bob W wrote:
>
>> Paper maps are so 20th century...
>
> I'm amused by the fact that men have a reputation of never using a > map or asking directions. But put the map and directions into an > electronic gizmo and it's an entirely different story

Careful Dave, we can see where you live - look right down your chimney - even at your front door - through your living/bed/room windows (if UPS or Google have been by). HIDE!

I taught map reading and land navigation in the Army. I do NOT rely on a GPS to tell me where I'm going. I've learned that when the GPS & the paper map disagree, more often it's the GPS that's wrong ... assuming the GPS can actually get a signal and it's not stuck somewhere miles behind you.

My experience is about 25% of men can learn to read a map well enough to navigate by it.

Same for women, but it takes them longer to get beyond the "I'll never be able to do this" stage.