Case in point - she was following her GPS...from the August 7th Los Angeles Times

*http://tinyurl.com/kjpscl*

<quote>An 11-year-old boy died in the intense heat of Death Valley National Park after he and his mother became stranded and survived for several days on bottled water, Pop-Tarts and cheese sandwiches, authorities said Friday.

Alicia Sanchez, 28, of Las Vegas was found severely dehydrated and remained hospitalized in Las Vegas a day after being found with her dog, her dead son and a Jeep Cherokee buried up to its axles in sand. She told rescuers in San Bernardino County that her son Carlos died Wednesday, days after she fixed a flat tire and continued into Death Valley, relying on directions from a GPS device in the vehicle.

“It’s in about as remote and isolated an area as you can find,” Death Valley National Park Chief Ranger Brent Pennington told the Associated Press. “How she got to that point, I don’t know.”</quote>

John Sessoms wrote:

I taught map reading and land navigation in the Army. I do NOT rely on a GPS to tell me where I'm going. I've learned that when the GPS & the paper map disagree, more often it's the GPS that's wrong ... assuming the GPS can actually get a signal and it's not stuck somewhere miles behind you.

My experience is about 25% of men can learn to read a map well enough to navigate by it.

Same for women, but it takes them longer to get beyond the "I'll never be able to do this" stage.