Kodak's original 112 film introduced in 1896 produced 5x7 contact prints. The original format was called Postcard size. So there you go.

Miserere wrote:
Sorry Ed, but I'm not sure what exactly you are asking. I generally
crop my photos to 4:5 ratio; it seems the bit of my brain that deals
with photography likes to see in that ratio. This is helpful because
when I send files out for printing I go for 8x10. Sometimes landscape
shots I do leave alone at 2:3 ratio, so those get printed at 8x12. As
both of these sizes are standard, I don't have any issues.

I never print at 4x6 because I find that's too small. 5x7 would be a
better size, but then I'd have to recrop my photos, or crop with the
printer's online software, or add white stripes/borders, or...at which
point I abandon the whole thing.

Does anybody know where/why the 5x7 size originated?

In a nutshell, my philosophy is: If it's worth printing, it's worth
printing at 8x10 or 8x12.

Not much help to you, huh? Sorry!

 --M.

--

The free man owns himself. He can damage himself with either eating or
drinking; he can ruin himself with gambling. If he does he is certainly a damn

        --G. K. Chesterton