I try to avoid cropping in most cases, but I have nothing
philosophically against it and I'm happy to make images in 2:3, 3:4,
6:7, 4:5, panoramic and other ratios. (As Michael Reichmann said, "The
manufacturer of my camera has no right in the world to tell me what
aspect ratio my photographs have to be!")

But when I decide on the aspect ratio of a given image I always print
it at the same aspect ratio, regardless of size. Once I've decided
what I want my image to be, I generally keep it that way.  If it's 3:4
then my prints will most likely be 9x12 or 12x16. If it's 2:3 than my
prints will be 8x12, 10x15 or 12x18. And so on.
--
Mark Roberts
Photography & Multimedia