Knowing that the inks cost the consumer the aforementioned $5000 to $8000 per gallon, and it costs the printer manufacturers probably less than $10 a gallon to make, these printers are designed to use as much ink as possible in as wasteful ways as possible.

It would be very simple firmware-wise to clean the head only on the ink cartridge(s) just replaced, but where would be the profit in that?

If I printed more than a few prints per month, I'd have external tank system on at least my R1800. And I'd get rid of my other three printers if that were the case. I only keep them around (and have to print on each one at least once a week to prevent clogging) because their inks are less expensive than those of the R1800 (which I have to print on at least every week to prevent IT from clogging).