On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 08:12:31PM -0400, Graydon wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 07:55:00PM -0400, John Francis scripsit:
>
> > What next flagship?  I don't expect anything better than the K-7 to
> > show up for at least the next 3 to 5 years.  Beyond that is too far
> > away to be making any kind of predictions.
>
> 3 to 5 years of no upgrades just due to better sensors and faster image
> engine chips becoming available, if nothing else?  This doesn't seem
> highly plausible, somehow.

I expect a mid-life kicker (a K-7n?) in perhaps eighteen months. But
that's likely to sell for not a lot more than the K-7, which by then
will probably be selling a bit cheaper that it is today.  I'd expect
a new revision of the sensor, and several small tweaks, but not much
else; much as I'd like it, I doubt if we'd see a faster shutter.
Perhaps we'll see an improved grip with a live card socket, and even
a wireless/bluetooth connectivity option.

> > The next Pentax bodies will be sold on (low) price, not on features.
>
> They're busy staking out "small", "tough", and "good value" as their
> chunk of the feature space.  That's not consistent with a plan to
> compete on price, which would be crazy anyway.

We pretty much agree, I think;  I should have said price/performance
(or, for those pedants among us, performance/price :-).  But I see
Pentax as more likely to do that by lowering the price for close to
the current performance levels (although there is room for two models
between the K-m and the K-7, at the $600-$700 and $900 price points).