On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 5:49 PM, P. J. Alling<webstertwenty...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know, Cannon seems to think if they pack enough MP into their 1.6x
> crop sensor they can command $1700US for one.  Sure it has specifications
> out the wazoo*, but when you come down to it it's noise characteristics will
> be a lot like the K20D/K-7 at high ISO, unless they've repealed some of the
> laws of physics.
>
> http://www.1001noisycameras.com/2009/09/canon-7d.html
>

> * I'm not sure what a wazoo is but Canon probably has one.
>
> --

It's not the 18MP, but rather the 8fps and semi-pro build that
commands the $1800. It's pretty much the same price as the 12MP D300s,
but the 7D is overall slightly better specified.

Remember, Pentax goes fairly light on the NR, preferring resolution
over noise performance. Canon does the opposite. If the Rebel T1i is
any indication with its D300-level noise performance despite having
15MP on a sensor smaller than the D300's 12MP sensor the 7D will
likely produce cleaner files than the K-7/K20D, but probably will
deliver no resolution advantage over the K-7/K20D due to NR losses.
--
M. Adam Maas
http://www.mawz.ca