Igor Roshchin wrote:

I like the composition, including the tree branches.
However, I am not seeing that much of the old-new contrast in it.
The brick building does not look that old in this photo.

It may not look that old in the photo, but trust me, it is. but then "old" is a relative term. The Carl Fischer building was built in 1926. The glass one was finished about um 4 or 5 years ago.
Manhattan has a few places where this contrast is more striking.
It's even stronger in Boston, near Newbury Street, Boston Commons,
Public Garden, Copley Place and around.

Indeed  it does.

So, as far as I can tell the photo was taken from that small area
just south of Copper Union - between 7th St and Copper Square,
just East of the side of the 4th Ave.
Right?

right - I was standing in that little triangle below the south entrance to Cooper Union...
Waiting for the 3rd ave bus to come along, actually.

It's an interesting area with a mixture of different buildings and
stores. There is(?) (was) an interesting Tibetan Restaurant on St Marks Pl,
or E. 9th.  There is also a nice wine store across the
street from this new building that you photographed - "Astor Wines" with a very interesting selection of wines from around the world and very reasonable prices. Igor

I think the Tibetan restaurant is still there - its 9th street... but you blink now a days and another old something is gone.
Astor  Wines , alas, has been replaced by a Walgreens drug store.

I live near 7th street and 1st ave, Igor - and  have for the last 41 years.

ann