From: Luiz Felipe
Miserere, Pasvorn, I heard about an older version of the 285 that would be dangerous.

I have one (2001 bought) that is just about 7 volts on the trigger, currently swapped for a FTZ 330.

Ed, since you already paired your 285 with the K100d, I'd assume your is safe. But checking is always a good move, IMHO. I do test every new flash before I use it, and that goes for friend's studio flashes - seen older models leak AC into the sync, and trigger voltages up to 600v, in particular ancient units.

The older 283 and 285 models had higher voltage trigger circuits. You want to look for the 285HV - HV designates the newer model with the safe trigger voltage.

Vivitar brought the 285HV back into production due to demand.