Small details that skipped my keyboard:

In using digital voltmeters the placement of the probes is simple, as the display will present results with a - sign if you invert positive and negative probes on dc voltages. Needle voltmeters will try do swing to the wrong side of the display - reversing the probes will get a proper reading.

I suggested the ~200v AC setting simply because I live in a 220v area - but any AC coming from the flash unit will do its best to flow towards the ground, using you and your camera as possible, so I don't consider a safe AC reading coming from the sync line.

DC or CC - constant current may be dangerous too - pls take care.

lf

Luiz Felipe escreveu:
Well, I use a voltmeter capable of good information on the desired volt range. In these days of almost disposable multiple reading digital meters, every single model I know offers a 0~20 volt setting for DC current. Hold one of the meter's probes to the ground part of the flash shoe, the other to the center contact, and watch the reading as you cycle the flash some times, from power-up to the discharge and then the re-charge. Safe readings are up to 6v DC, 0v AC - but handheld units usually present no AC issues, AFAIK. I assume a 7v flash as safe - my 285HV goes past 6,7v but is being used with Canon, Sony, Nikon and Pentax digital cameras with no problems so far.

On studio units you should read from both parts of the sync cord - but first look for AC leaks, with the meter set to ~200v AC, one probe to the sync, one wire at a time, other to a ground line or large metal structure. Any signals read here spell problem to modern cameras. Old studio units were known to zap photographers with damp, sweaty faces... pls note that AC is dangerous, and if not sure of the procedure call for help.

lf

Pasvorn Boonmark escreveu:
Luiz,

Thank for the information.

In general, how do you check voltage trigger for a flash?

-Pasvorn