Shel,

I can tell you a little.  This is a * lens so it's build quality is
higher than the typical FA lens - it is mostly metal-can't say if any
plastic is used. It also has the focus clutch, which IMO, provides for
a much better manual focus feel than the typical FA lens.  The extra
stop is handy, but not critical. For most uses of a wide angle you are
going to stop down a fair bit. Since I have never used the K, I can't
make a fair comparison between them. I have been quite happy with mine
and it is one of the lenses that goes in the bag even when traveling
light.

Bruce Dayton