On 9/30/09, Bob W <p...@web-options.com> wrote:
> It's up to you to decide what it means. You could, for example, photograph
>  some vernacular architecture. Or you could photograph a copy of the Bible
>  written in the vernacular (ie, your local language). The picture itself does
>  not have to be vernacular. But it could be, if you want.
>
>  Vernacular really just means local, or peculiar to your particular region.
>  For example, the style of painting in Ethiopian churches could be described
>  as vernacular
>  (http://www.gondarlink.org.uk/country_explored/culture/painting.shtml).
>
>  It can be applied to naïve or primitive art because a semantic field
>  connects it with provincial and unsophisticated. But if you live in the
>  centre of Paris surrounded by the Louvre then your vernacular is likely to
>  be very sophisticated indeed.

If my memory serves, last year we were discussing a "snap shot" theme
for the PUG.  Somehow it morphed into "vernacular".  I'd guess because
someone bitched and moaned about not taking snapshots.  Or maybe we
just thought Frank shouldn't have his own month.  I dunno.

Yeah.  It's still open.  I'm almost caught up with the current batch
of entries and I'll probably finish it up tonight.  Once I get to the
end I'm cutting it off, so now's a good time if you have something.

--
Scott Loveless
Cigarette-free since December 14th, 2008