Hi!

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 10:02 AM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:
> This sounds very interesting. It seems to be a lens that some people
> love, others loathe. There also seems to be a 24/1.8.

Larry, Sigma produces 28/1.8, 24/1.8 and 20/1.8 lenses. Due to
significant sample variation, the reviews range from very contained
all the way to ecstatic. Personally, I decided for now to not buy
20/1.8 or 24/1.8 though it does look tempting. The reasons being that
I am not exactly happy with the way Sigma lenses render color. Also
where I live, it will be virtually impossible to arrange proper cherry
picking. And these lenses are rather big in size and heavy in weight.
Thus, my decision to go look for FA* 24/2 which is argued to be better
optically and smaller physically.

There is another Sigma lens, one which I would buy in an instant if I
find a good sample - AF 24/2.8 Macro II. I had this one borrowed from
a friend. Wonderful optic. Read somewhere that it was either
co-developed or co-produced or co-something with Leica. As sharp as A
24/2.8, slightly more prone to flare, good bokeh and AF. Just as small
and light (52 mm filter diameter). On digital it would make close to
ideal street shooter's autofocus lens of angle of view of 36 mm with
DOF of 24 mm lens.

--
Boris