As you know, a large portion of us in the US were automatically part
of AT&T (or what ever alias they go by) for our long distance services
and just continued to use them for a decade if not longer, after the
big phone monopoly breakup occurred.  In 2000, coincident with my
taking an out of town assignment, they sent me a killer deal on two
cell phones.  Well the cell phone did not work from inside the
building where I worked, so I called home numerous times per day from
my desk using the calling card they sent me along with the phones.

I noticed my phone bills were unusually high but just paid them
because I did not have time to pay attention.  After we moved, I
received a 2-month bill for close to $700.  That made me start paying
attention.

Fine print:  Cell phone was 5 cents/min... calling card was $1.99 per
call and 25 cents/min. I called and called 5 or 6 times talking to
different "phone people", probably all under 22 years of age. I
explained how I was paying more for 2 months of service than I did for
the prior 10 years combined, and how AT&T was the only long distance
company I had ever used.  I offered to pay a reasonable amount but not
be taken for a ride by trickery. I "should have asked to change to a
less expensive plan" even though they did not inform me there was one.
 There was absolutely no recourse.  I was not allowed to talk to a
supervisor, a supervisor's supervisor, etc.

I vowed then and there that I was never knowingly going to pay another
dime to AT&T and I haven't. They are a greedy corporate boil on the
*** of society and typify exactly what is wrong with corporate
America.

No, why? Does it seem like I'm bitter?

I sympathize.  I went through similar shenanigans with Symantec when
installing a new version of Norton AV... Oh I'm supposed to MANUALLY
UNINSTALL the prior version BEFORE loading the new one, or it crashes
my computer and I have to spend a day or more recovering my hard drive
and reinstalling the OS?  Total BS.  Didn't help that I had to spell
each vord in ewery sentence so that the "English" speaker could
understand.

Outcome of both interactions... I'm screwed.

Tom