I've been putting the Sigma 20/1.8 through its paces today. I need to decide whether to return it, exchange it at 47st, or send it to Sigma for repair.

Optically, I have no complaints. There are undoubtably sharper lenses of about this length, but there aren't many faster, at least not at a price I can afford.

In theory, I could exchange it at 47st and have a replacement within a week, but while it may be better, I suspect that it won't feel as good as I'd like. I'm hoping that if I send it to sigma, they'll give it a little extra attention and I'll get something back at the other end of the spectrum when it comes to focus feel.

I'm afraid that rather than doing the things I ought to, I kept using "testing the lens" as an excuse to spend "a few minutes" taking some test photos. Here are some quick and dirty sets, minimal processing, everything hand held, most at ISO 100 to get an idea of the performance of the Sigma. I'm definitely satisfied with it. As a gallery, I should definitely toss the shots that aren't as good, but it's a test of the lens, not the photographer:

On my way back from mailing one of the packages, I took a short drive down Lockhart Gulch road because I keep noticing scenic little bits there. I uploaded those shots to flickr at full resolution for the pixel peepers:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157622876841535/

There are some mushrooms growing on a stump in my front yard and did a side by side between the sigma and my dfa 50 as macros:

Sigma
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157622877880533/

Pentax
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157623002486404/

I had to run to the lumber yard, took a few shots of the old sawdust burner and decided to see if I could get any shots at Roaring Camp Railroad next door:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157623002558356/