Larry Colen escribió:

Because the manual focus on it feels horrible. It's "lumpy" getting stiff with every rotation of the auto focus drive screw, then loose on the other half. This also sort of makes it tough to focus accurately if the focus point is where it doesn't want to turn.

If the lens were bad optically, I'd just return it. It's too much to ask that all lenses feel like a supertak 50, but this one is beyond reasonable.

I have the Sigma EX 28 mm. 1.8 macro. I know it isn't the same lens, but it is closely related, and the manual focus feeling doesn't have anything to do with your experiences with the EX 24 mm. If you disengage autofocus BOTH on the camera and lens, manual focusing with my lens isn't stiff at all, it is very fluid and nearly as good as with traditional manual focus lenses. So I'd say that your 24 lens is defective and you should exchange it.

Like I wrote in a previous message some days ago, you must be sure you disengage AF by using both the camera AF/MF switch and also by pushing the focusing ring on the lens towards the camera body, as, unfortunately, these Sigma lenses can't deactivate the AF motor in the camera body only by using the lens clutch, like genuine Pentax FA* lenses do (FA* 24 mm. 2.0, FA* 300 mm. 4.5, FA* 80-200 mm. 2.8 and some others).

Carlos