On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 11:45 PM, David Mann <dm...@bluemoon.net.nz> wrote:
> I've had to clean up after successful hacks on people's sites a handful of
> times this year.  Keep your blog software, and its plugins, up to date.  And
> be careful not to keep old emails containing passwords lying around.
>
> Oh yes, don't necessarily trust your hosting provider to keep good backups
> either.

I'm one of the people who worries about the Internet more or less
full-time for a living.  It's impossible to overstate how many bad
guys are out there or how hard they're trying.  We're actually holding
our own against them, mostly, but they do win some.  So anyone who
cares about their online presence should be asking themselves some
questions time to time. What if the server my presence is on were,
suddenly:

(a) under the control of malicious people,
(b) no longer there; the provider simply absent, no phones being answered, etc
(c) still there but providing completely unsatisfactory service and
non-responsive management.

The question you should be asking: Is there a Plan B? Is there a way
to rebuild my online presence?  Am I 100% sure that I have control
over an accurate copy of 100% of my data?

Sorry to be a downer. -T