From: frank theriault
On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 2:24 AM, Brian Walters <supera1...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> G'day all
>
> We have a serious bushfire burning a few km to the east of us. ?It's
> downwind of us so that's good - but not good for those in that
> direction.
>
> As I write another Erikson Air Crane has just flown over the house - we
> have a small lake a couple of hundred metres away and the choppers have
> been using it to fill their water tanks for most of the day.
>
> Of course I took a few photos.....

Very cool set!

You guys should buy come Canadair water bombers.  They work way better
than helicopters:

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/revolution-in-flight-363.jpg

They're great if your lake is big enough. They'll probably use them as well if the fire gets big enough.

Helicopters can draw water from smaller lakes close in. And if they get there in time, they may keep the fire from growing enough to need the big water bombers.