On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 09:22:13PM +1100, Brian Walters scripsit:
> On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 22:05 -0500, "Graydon" <o...@uniserve.com> wrote:
> > I'd give the nod to the second-last; nice rotor-mist.
> >
> > Do you have fixed-wing water bombers?  Watching those re-water is quite
> > spectacular.
>
> No - according to those who are supposed to know about such things,
> water bombers are no suited to conditions here.  Lack of large lakes
> near population centres is probably the reason although, after last
> season's disastrous fires in Victoria, the Victorian Government has a
> converted DC-10 on standby.  However, even the Government seems to be in
> two minds about their suitability:
>
> http://www.theage.com.au/national/water-bomber-states-bushfire-insurance-policy-20091215-ksx8.html

I was thinking more of the CL415, which is a self-reloading flying boat,
and which would have an issue with large lakes.

Though the nice folks at Bombardier claim you don't need a straight path to
refill, and that water 2m deep will do, so river pickup *is* possible,
but I suspect even Australian pilots would find themselves feeling a bit
challenged by that.

-- Graydon