On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 02:56:29PM -0500, John Francis scripsit:
> I've personally encountered a Linux-based attack (at one of the
> sites I use for hosting), valthough that's probably a softer
> target than OS/X because the source code is widely available.

It's not security until it works when the black hats know how it works.

The degree of obscurity in OS/X isn't an advantage because it's still
fundamentally BSD, and anybody who cares to can download it and
decompile it; all the tools required are in the free ecosystem.

Linuxes have the minor advantage that it's mostly a server OS; the
relatively secure server tools are available if you want them.  (Really
secure, well, you start by disabling any non-volatile writeable storage
and recompiling all the utilities with random 4,098 character hex digit
names, library names, and options, which gets put into a totally flat
directory structure.  (/dev/ and /proc/ too, everything.  The problem is
that no one wants to use such a machine for some reason...)

-- Graydon