Last night I scanned some black and white negatives and imported them into
Lightroom. I quickly learned that Lightroom 2 does not have an invert function.

I found a solution online. You find a scanned negative image file that you have
already imported into Lightroom, and open it in Adobe Camera Raw. You look at
the tone curve, select the 'point' tab, then drag the left side of the tone
curve to the top, and the right side of the curve to the bottom, and then save
the file. You go back into Lightroom and import the metadata from the file you
just changed. You can then save the changes to the tone curve as a preset and
use it on any file. Easy so far.

The problem with this is that now the Lightroom controls do not work like you
expect them to. If you move the exposure slider to the right, the image gets
darker. The 'blacks' slider now controls the highlights. It takes some getting
used to, but it is not that bad.

My question is whether anyone knows if the reversed tone curve will make any of
the other controls work incorrectly. For example, I'm not really sure about the
math behind the 'clarity' slider. Do you think it will be adversely affected?

Does anyone know if they plan to add an invert function to Lightroom 3 beta? It
seems like it would be very easy to implement, unless there is some conflict I
don't know about. Which is why I got worried enough to ask this question.

Thanks,

Ira

--
Ira Bryant