Toralf Lund wrote:

Ira H. Bryant IV wrote:

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 22:09:29 -0800
Godfrey DiGiorgi <gdigio...@gmail.com> wrote:

I've regularly scanned B&W film negatives (scanned using VueScan and a
Nikon LS-40 film scanner) and brought them into LR.

My scan files are either TIFFs or TIFF encapsulated DNG files. I let
Vuescan do the appropriate negative-positive inversion. E.G.:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2623/4229858409_9966c3c74b_o.jpg
Contax Tix + Kodak Advantix B&W

Vuescan is what I used, but I just got it and am not really familiar with it yet. How do you get it to do the inversion when saving to a TIFF? I went through the manual and tried to find a setting for it, but I couldn't figure it out. The previews show positives, but the final scans were negatives. I thought that maybe since it was a raw output that Vuescan wouldn't change it.

That's atrange. I scan B&W negatives to from time to time, using TIFF as output format, and they show up as positive both in the preview and output. I select "B&W Negative" for the input format and 8-bit or 16-bit grayscale file format (in the "Output" tab.) Are you sure you've tried straight TIFF output, as opposed to DNG/raw? Which I've never tried, but I'm assuming it means there is no inversion or other processing.

On the "input" tab, press the "advanced" button. Under the "media" button, select B&W negative from the drop down list. Under the "color" (sic) tab, you can then choose what film you are using to obtain best results as determined by the software.

Note that I do see weird inconsistencies between the preview and "scan" view within Vuescan itself from time to time, though. These tend to go away if I try again...

- Toralf

Thank you for your help.

Ira